IIPM Admission

Monday, January 24, 2011

America: Shahid Husain and his erstwhile leftist comrades had a happy reunion at the Mecca of capitalism

Best Colleges for Vocational Courses in India

While I was in Alexandria with my old friends Zulekha and Yousuf, I received a phone call from Dr. Ehtesham, an American-Pakistani retired Orthopaedic surgeon to come to Dallas (Texas) to attend the 3-day alumni convention of APPNA. He said he had to read a paper on Pakistani media there but since I was here, he will drop out so that I may read the paper instead. I didn't say anything. Ehtesham didn't mention who would bear the travelling cost.

After a week or so, he called me again and said since I had not responded, APPNA has arranged Tarek Fateh instead to speak on media. 'Bhool gaye the kya?' (Did you forget?).

I said it's OK if they have selected Tarek, although I had written a 2,000-word story on Pakistan's print media a couple of years ago for the Press Institute of India. But I did not have a copy of the same in the US.

In the meanwhile, my old friend from National Students Federation (NSF) and author of Chasing the Mirage Tarek Fatah called and said I should come to Dallas. He is a Canadian national now. He booked my ticket from there immediately through American Airlines.

I decided to go. I reached the airport 10 minutes late. I got a boarding card and was then through security clearance. I was satisfied that after getting a boarding card I won't miss the flight. It would wait for me. But the American Airlines flight departed on time. However, the staff was kind enough to book me on another flight that was departing at 10 am. I made a call to Zulekha and told her to inform Tarek that I will be coming by another flight.

Tarek was waiting for me at the Dallas airport. We embraced each other and then shifted to the hotel.

Tarek Fatah was General Secretary of left-wing National Students Federation (NSF) in our university days while I was a Central Committee member. It was Tarek who suggested that I should take admission in B.Sc (Honours) in 1969 since Nayyar Aziz Mazoodi (who later became principal of Sindh Medical College in Karachi and passed away a couple of years ago) was leaving since he had completed his Masters and I had to make a unit in that department. It was also Tarek who inculcated in me the habit of reading International Affairs, Moscow News and New Times.

Tarek was angry that nobody was there to receive us. It was a huge event where as many as 4,000 American physicians of Pakistani origin were participating besides top scientists, intellectuals etc.

Tarek called Dr Shazia, an American family physician of Pakistani origin, women's and human rights activist and a writer. She came immediately and showed us our room. Me and Tarek were given the same room to stay.

It was a huge carnival like meeting where families of the physicians had also been invited. An election was also being conducted. I was inspired by Dr Shazia's enthusiasm and asked her to suggest somebody whom I could interview but he/she should not be a veteran. She proposed that I can interviewed her. I agreed.

I was happy to be among so many people but was looking for friends from Dow Medical College, Karachi where I used to go almost daily during my student life and had many friends. Ultimately I found some of them. Though it was memorable, I felt the expenditure was lavish.

I came back to Alexandria after three days and then went to Richmond, capital of Virginia, to interview Dr Shazia. Interestingly she also requested me for an interview which I readily agreed to. She wanted that stuff for her YouTube thing. From there I returned to Alexandria on Sunday afternoon.

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice Board
Ragging rights and wrongs
Indian universities and higher education institutes seem to be caught in a time warp teaching things
Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU): Students' Unions can not be banned
The hunt for hostel and paying guest (PG) accommodation for students

No comments:

 

GoStats hit counter
GoStats hit counter