IIPM Admission

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sergey Prokofiev to Anonymous

The hunt for hostel and paying guest (PG) accommodation for students

Born in Sontsovka, Ukraine, Sergey Sergeyevich Prokofiev is considered one of the greatest composers of the 20th century. He was also an accomplished pianist and conductor. Like other great composers he mastered a wide range of musical genres, including symphonies, concerti, film music, operas, ballets, and program pieces. At the time, his works were considered both ultra-modern and innovative. In the following anonymous letter, Sergey talks about a girl, who caught his fancy, and her repeated request to create an Assyrian music.

Sergey ProkofievJanuary 24, 1909

Dear Friend,

I saw Glagoleva again on Thursday. She greeted me with the words: 'You're just the person I'm looking for!' What it is about, and it seems to be urgent, is that she has a dancing partner of some kind with whom she wants to perform an Assyrian dance in Assyrian costume, and there is accordingly a need for some Assyrian music to dance to. Hence her appeal to me as a knowledgeable and competent person in such matters.

I said she would have perfectly fine Assyrian music if she could just get hold of an old frying pan, and that would fit the bill quite satisfactorily, but she objected reasonably enough that the Assyrians featured a lute or something of the sort in their music. Could I not dig up some Assyrian motif and then write some music based on it? I explained that just a motif on its own would not be much use since it would need some harmony to go with it, and the Assyrians evidently lacking any concept of harmony, one would have to cobble together some conventional Oriental harmonies. So would it not be easier to get hold of some music that already existed? I made enquiries of a Sacchetti student who happened to be passing (say what you like, but Sacchetti does have a first-class knowledge of the history of music) and he pointed us in the direction of Empress of Saba, which we found straight away in the Conservatoire library. I started to play it and picked out a few places while Glagoleva listened. We soon alighted on the Processional March in the first act, which sent Glagoleva into raptures both about the music and about my playing of it'sight-reading, if you please, and so beautifully! It was exactly what she needed, and of course nobody but me would do to accompany her. I declined. Glagoleva started to plead, politely making sure she had my first name and patronymic and so on correct. After all, we would only need four rehearsals of an hour and a half each, over in Petersburgskaya Storona! I was inexorable. 'Cross my heart and hope to die, I have a chess congress starting in a few days!'

'Well, please come on Sunday. That way the three of us'you, I and my partner'can at least work out how and what we are going to dance!'

I remained unmoved, enjoying the sensation of resisting this beautiful girl whose slightest whim was obeyed by all at a wave of her hand. 'I suffer from chronic allergies that give me a cold in the head and I am forbidden to go anywhere near Petersburgskaya Storona. Come to the lesson on Monday, I'll be there as well, and bring your partner along. We'll be able to sort something out then!'

Glagoleva consented, and that was how it was left between us.


For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM BBA MBA Institute: Student Notice Board
When foreign shores beckon
An array of unconventional career options
A language that divides
Ragging rights and wrongs

Best Colleges for Vocational Courses in India
Indian universities and higher education institutes seem to be caught in a time warp teaching things
Delhi University Students' Union (DUSU): Students' Unions can not be banned

No comments:

 

GoStats hit counter
GoStats hit counter